Saturday, May 21, 2005

Having Fun on the Apostolic Trail

To the supermarket in the morning. An innocent, mindless question to the young woman in that department leads to questions of "Where are you from? How long are you here?" When I tell her what we do here, she starts to tell me her longing for a deeper walk with the Lord but her husband isn't interested, her family have all made a deep commitment, she wants to but can't, then the tears start. Meanwhile Dick wanders over, and we end up quietly praying with her right in the shampoo aisle. I hug her, (several times) and we urge her to visit us at home to talk some more. A very sweet, hurting lady.
Then swimming, lunch, rest, a visit from the little girlies (several visits) and Vespers at home. Then Mass at 7:00 pm, Dick preaching, looking very priestly in his alb and stole, blithely talking about his 50 year marriage. I, meanwhile, fielding questions at the swimming pool about "What religion are you? You can't be Catholic because our priests don't marry." Followed by long explanations, even after I told her I sat in the sauna for "one decade of the Rosary."
After Mass, a young couple visit to ask us to go to their tiny Charismatic prayer group next week. We end up telling them some of our history, and about the best way to give a Life in the Spirit Seminar, and they stay almost an hour.

We are just getting ready to relax and veg out when there is a soft knock on the door-at 9:00 pm. It is Fr. Martin, head of Lay Ministries for the diocese, here to pick us up for a meeting with heads of Ministries which we had totally forgotten. Scurry, scurry. Off we go. A two hour meeting with supper served at the end: pan dulce, cafe con leche, and a wonderful green soup with slices of corn on the cob called "chilatole". HOT!

To bed around midnight, and up early for an all-morning meeting with the diocesan exorcist and the lay expert who comes once a month to train the exorcists in this diocese. Right now I'm learning how to write on my computer while totally horizontal.The only thing I'll get up for is a Hershey bar.