Surprise!
Ahhhh! A romantic dinner for two. Flowers, candy and silk pajamas. Just ready to retire and a firm knock on the door! "We're looking for Deacon Ricardo!" (in Spanish). I reluctantly don my robe and open the door. There stand two young men dressed like real Franciscans: burlap robs, straw hats and sandles, and little back packs, mostly holding bottles of water.
They are Franciscans of the Primitive Observance, really trying to live like St. Francis. After stringing them along a little while in Spanisih, I asked if they would rather speack English. Ahh. Big sighs of relief. They are from the USA, on their way to Nicaragua for a project there. They are both planning to be ordained priests, and turned out to be completely delightful young men.
We talked long and late, they stayed, one on the sofa, one on our extra little bed, went to Children's mass next morning, enjoyed the tacos and tamales the ladies pressed on them after mass, (I had given them a big breakfast too.) Then around noon, went on their way, looking for a ride south.


<< Home