Thursday, December 05, 2013

Back in Mexico After 7 years

Well, Hi there! I confess, one of the world's worst bloggers.  I get so interested in daily life I forget to blog.  But now we are back in Mexico, in Xalapa, capital of the state of Veracruz. We never thought we'd be Snow Birds, but here we are, fleeing the Northern cold.  And found ourselves in the middle of a 3 week cold spell with rain, drizzle, mist, non stop and no central heating.  But now all is well.  The sun is out, sky is blue, and the gorgeous snow covered volcano, Pico de Orizaba, is floating serenely above the clouds, right out our window.

It's mid-morning; the children have been walked to school, the veggie truck is parked in our street, selling out the back, The propane gas trucks make regular rounds with ghastly music and deafening calls. Songbirds warble and tweet, and Dick is on his 6th two mile walk to the bank to see if some money has come from our acct. in the north.  Bank doesn't accept dollars, nothing is done without your passport, RD has made friends with the directora and she helps out when she can, but regs are regs.

I have seen NO fat or obese folks here, easily explained since every street goes either UP or DOWN, depending.  We get a 20 minute walk to church almost every day, then home again.  A 30 minute walk to the el Cheepo drugstore and a coffee across the street at a nice hotel.  The region is famous for its coffee farms and the produce is spectacular.  Not always Hollywood perfect to look at, but fresh, lasts long, and no dyes or other junk. I can't explain how things can be picked ripe and still last longer at home than produce up North.  Yes, I disinfect it all. So do the local folks.This morning I got a ripe pineapple, a cucumber, a jicama, two tomatoes, green beans and 1 apple for the Lord of the Manor. All for less than $4.00 US.

Next time I'll tell you a little about some interesting activities we've had or will soon have. Tune in.