Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Littlest Angel

I think I saw an angel at mass tonight, or a close human approximation. As a mother of 4 boys (plus one Surprise!)I should know better, but when I saw a pint size altar boy among the ten that assisted tonight, he sure looked angelic to me. I guessed he was about 5, dressed like the rest in red robe, white surplice, he was sitting on the bench where the readers sit, hands clasped piously, feet swinging, round face reflecting intense concentration.

I figured later, he was waiting and watching for his Grand Moment, when he could perform his very first duty on the altar: hustling over carrying the bowl the priest washes his hands in. He passed the rest of the time watching Dick alternate between performing HIS deacon duties, and praying with attention and expressiveness, as usual. I thought he was too young to know the songs and prayers, but could then see he knew all the words. During the Kiss of Peace, I risked a quick question to him, and discovered he is 7! Very short, but 7. It was his first day on the altar.