Faith Hard Won #5
My mother called me in from where, as a nearly grown-up 14 year old, I was climbing a tree, and gave me an errand: "Walk down to the church and take this little package to Rev. H for me."
"OK". I set off, heading down the familiar route toward my grade school and the Prespyterian Church across the street. When I handed the package to Rev. H.he invited me into his study for "a little talk", and proceeded to tear into me in his hot tempered way, determined to put an end to thie "Catholic foolishness."
It was not a fair match, in any way: a professional clergyman in his 50's or 60's, with a deserved reputation for a hot temper, and a naive adolescent, determined to set out on unexplored roads of faith. I headed home, feeling tricked, ("betrayed" may be too strong a word)and angry.
Nevertheless, here we are, 55 years later, still walking that road, still Catholic, not quite so naive,now.


<< Home