Processions and Passing out
The processions around here are a sight to behold. After the parish here finished a three day celebration for the 40 Hours Devotion, during which the bells rang several times, long and loud, every hour, then we heard a band, fireworks, and the little dinging bell they ring when a small procession sallies forth to take Communion to the sick. When we looked out this time, there were about 100 people following the canopy that sheltererd the priest, who was carrying the Blessed Sacrament in the monstrance. Those following walked solemnly, as if one body, and all carried candles. The people in their homes stood by their gates, also with candles. After the procession passed from our view, I heard a soft tapping on our door. A nice young woman was bringing us coffee and pan dulce from the ladies that provide it after all the special occasions here.
That was last night.
This morning we hustled up to Jalapilla for the 8:00am mass: confirmations for 90 with our nice bishop. Dick and Fr. Enrique assisting. As usual, the crowd was too big to fit in the small, historic church where Carlotta, wife of Emperor Maximiliano worshiped when she came here for R & R. We were under the patched up tarp in back, same as during Holy Week. After Communion, I was (of course) praying seriously, with my eyes tightly shut, when I heard a commotion and people around tried to get my attention. As I opened my eyes I saw some young men carrying Dick,(My Fearless Leader)from the stage where the altar was, toward the sacristy. When I got there He was looking quite pale, yellow, even, and the young doctor who materialized, complete with little black bag,said his blood pressure was very low. The doctor started giving orders while Dick stayed stretched out on a narrow wooden bench and I hovered. The doctor thought it might have been low blood sugar from skipping breakfast, but we forgot to tell him that Dick has been VERY sensitive to heat since a trip from Houston to Miami in 1991. Yesterday it was almost 100 F. here, and the day before. So we'll run that by the doctor when he calls to check on things tonight.
Not to worry; there was so much help and concern around we were inundated with it. Two of the young missionary guys drove us home and stayed a while to make sure we were ok.The ladies sent baskets of fruit and bags of tamales with us.


<< Home