Tuesday, June 21, 2005

A Bus Ride and a Little Patient

"No, no! You can't ride the city buses! They don't stop or wait for you; they'll start up while you're still getting on or off. It's dangerous!" This was the advice a well-meaning friend gave me when we arrived here. But I've been riding them for a couple weeks now with NO problem. In fact it is interesting, safe, and very fast. Instead of the 20 challenging and nerve wracking minutes it takes to get to my work in the car, it took me 7 minutes in the bus. Pieceacake! These multi-colored behemouths run continuously, drivers and passengers are helpful and courteous to clueless foreigners, and it's cheap and efficient. 45 cents to anywhere in town.

Did I tell you about the little patient in the hospital whose intestines were paralyzed? Well, if you prayed for him, you'll be glad to know that when I saw him today, he is much better. Now let's pray that it doesn't recur. His aunt was spooning the ubiquitous jello into his mouth over his mother's shoulder.

A woman at the retreat we gave last Saturday invited us to give a talk to a group of 50 women at her church. She was very impressed with us and especially liked it when I had them all stand up and stretch. (We called it "praising the Lord"!)