Monday, June 06, 2005

Lively Faith

How much do you want to hear about the doings of the Church down here? Well, there's a lot to say. After the retreat with such lively people with lots of youth, but all ages,then the evening Mass in our parish. I counted 10 youth serving on the altar, boys and girls, young adults really. They were doing the readings, the commentary, the prayers of the faithful, the incense,( they had a real bonfire in the censor!) the usual serving things with the priest, bringing up the offerings and taking the collection. Then there was the choir, another 12 young people. So there in just one Mass you had 22 young people actively engaged and sure that the liturgy wouldn't go so well without them. Another thing they do here that I like, is two servers hold tall candle sticks, and move them around according to what's happening. Stand beside the pulpit for readings, by the altar for consecration, accompany the offerings to the front, and more.

Then I noticed that every week there are new banners hanging, relating to the readings of the day. And they are well done, not amateurish at all. They are done by the husband of the lady who is the priest's housekeeper.

Enough of the serious for now. Here's comic relief: This morning I caught my helper IRONING THE SHEETS after she had put them on the bed! I sweetlyl told her she was crazy.